Website Shifting Roots Logo
My Account

3 Easy Steps to Fix Blossom End Rot


You’ve planted the tomato seeds, watched them grow, and now you’re finally starting to get some beautiful tomatoes!  But what’s this?  Who put this disgusting black scab on the bottom of my beautiful tomato?

That horrible scab that’s ruining your tomato is called Blossom End Rot.

Blossom end rot is caused by two things: a lack of calcium and inconsistent watering.  While the best cure to blossom end rot is prevention, it can be reversed once it’s started.

Here’s how.

Step 1: Remove all Affected Tomatoes

Unfortunately, once a tomato has blossom end rot, it won’t go away.  However, you can still save the plant and any remaining tomatoes it produces.  Put all rotten tomatoes in your compost and cut your losses.

[click_to_tweet tweet=”Blossom End Rot on your tomatoes got you down? Reverse it in two weeks with these three easy steps!” quote=”Blossom End Rot on your tomatoes got you down? Reverse it in two weeks with these three easy steps!”]

Step 2: Water with Powdered Milk

Those tomatoes need some calcium at the root–stat.  While egg shells are great, their calcium won’t be picked up by the plant until they start decomposing.  That’s great for a few months from now, but doesn’t help your problem.  Instead, mix powdered milk into your watering can for a quick hit of calcium that doesn’t resort to using lime.  Lime should only be used if you know you have a soil PH problem.

Related: The Best Tomato Varieties to Plant for Your Gardening Situation

Step 3: Water Every Day, Twice a Day in Extreme Heat

Tomatoes need consistent water.  In fact, skimping on watering earlier in the month is likely what caused blossom end rot in the first place.  Last year when my tomatoes succumbed to blossom end rot (due to inconsistent watering because we were renovating our bathroom and not living in our home) it took two weeks of daily watering (unless it rained) to reverse the problem.

Thankfully, I still ended up with the lovely tomatoes you see in all the pictures in this post.

Grow the Best Tomatoes

Subscribe and get your free 10 page guide to Tomatoes. I'll show you how to start them from seed, the best care practices, and how to harvest them. Plus, you'll get 4 tomato recipes delivered straight to your inbox.

We won't send you spam. Unsubscribe at any time. Powered by ConvertKit

Optional: Use Mulch to Further Prevent Blossom End Rot

Finally, if you want to hold in the moisture in your soil, surround your tomatoes with 2-4 inches of shredded newspaper or wood chips.  This easy organic mulch will retain moisture, prevent weeds, and add more nutrients to the soil over time.

Related: How to Use Mulch in the Garden for Easy Weed Control

There you have it!  Blossom end rot isn’t fun, but you don’t have to let it ruin all your hard work in the vegetable garden.

P.S.- There are actually a couple more reasons why your plants may have blossom end rot–I’ve chosen to focus on this reason and solution because not watering enough is usually the culprit 80% of the time.  If my process doesn’t work, you’re unfortunately in the other 20% and will need to do some further research into why its happening in your garden.

There's no more frustrating tomato growing problem to a beginner gardener than blossom end rot. I'll show you my 3 step process to get it out of your vegetable garden. #gardeningtips #tomatoes #growingtomatoes #tomatogrowing #beginnergardener #gardeningproblems

Kristen Raney

Kristen Raney

Kristen is a former farm kid turned urban gardener who owns the popular gardening website, Shifting Roots.  She is obsessed with growing flowers and pushing the limits of what can be grown in her zone 3b garden.  She also loves to grow tomatoes, but oddly enough, dislikes eating them raw.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Grow roots with us



Hi, I'm Kristen and I help new gardeners learn to grow their own vegetables and beautify their yards. I also share recipes that use all that delicious garden produce. Grab a coffee (and your gardening gloves) and join me for gardening tips, simple recipes, and the occasional DIY, all from the lovely city of Saskatoon, Saskatchewan.

P.S. First time gardener? You'll want to download the quick start gardening guide below!